Tuesday, October 31, 2006

This week my Kenya position was made officially offical. I am moving to Kisumu. Isn't that strange how I was placed there.. and that was the last place I visited and really only because Sofia and Tamara talked me into it (and I couldn't get a flight to Lamu). Well hurrah for knowing and having a departure date.. I was beginning to have my doubts about it.. and really the whole thing (but not for long).

And in celebration of the affirmation I am moving to Belden/Sheffied - thank you Bonnie - so that I have my own room and can actually hang my clothes for the last 2 months in Chicago. Not that I will be there all that much with the work travel, but I am beginning to be concerned about the dents in Sam's carpet caused by overuse of the sofa bed. That is me sleeping on it every night. Even when I fold it away during the day.. there they are in the evening.. indentations from the pull-out.

So. Now I really need to think about all the things I must do before departure:
- motor cycle classes
- buy a helmet
- contact returned volunteers
- get a new bank account because TCF officially suck
- write up my "language and HIV paper" with Kay
- write my young child article from my last trip to Kenya
- eat sushi and salad voraciously
- get two more rabies shots
- sell my car
- 2 more doctors appointments
- get a police check

the list is fairly endless. Although I have done some of the more horrific chores like go to the dentist.

I can't even manage to get my head around all the Leap stuff that I need to do for work, though Katie doesn't consider this move a departure. No she considers that Leap is going to Kenya. And promises to work on material grants. Fabulous.

I am actually currently in Roseville, CA and can't hear anything because I have a cold/sinus issues and my ears are completely blocked. I spent a good 90% of the 4 hour flight conked out and drooling on myself as I am apt to do. I am spending two days observing a stellar preschool program and then attending a conference run by Bev Bos (www.turnthepage.com). I saw her once in Oak Park and she was incredibly inspiring.. and uses the word 'authentic' a lot. But really does amazing work in her program.

Anyway. Maybe I have time for one movie before bed.. What will it be 'The Devil Wears Prada' or something equally awful and girlie?

No comments: