Sunday, June 03, 2007

Hello. My attempts at getting caught up this weekend were thwarted. Friday I spent the entire day and better part of the evening writing and uplaoding an article for Young Child Magazine.. and since then.. hhhm. Nothing.

Kisumu isn't a great place to be right now. Thursday night 7 armed robbers held up a guest house in my neighborhood slashing the throat of the security guard and raping a guest. The whole ordeal lasted 2 hours apparently until the police came in and killed all the bandits.

Friday night I went out for Indian with friends. Vica decided to go home, but I went out for drinks with the boys. When I called Pascal our tuk-tuk driver to come and get us about an hour after he picked Vica up the conversation went something like this:
"Hi Pascal"
"mwjewjgfvsf,gnsljg"
"Pascal, I can't really hear you. We are at Kengeles can you come and pick us up?"
"BRENDA"
"yes"
"YOU'RE NOT HEARING ME BRENDA. WE WERE ROBBED"
"oh"

Apparently, (and just let me interject there is a much longer and more convoluted version to this story) early Friday night some armed people stole a car and had been going around picking people up as if a cab and robbing/beating them. This same taxi was trailing the tuk-tuk Vica was is and when Pascal slowed they cut it off in front and held them up. Becuase Pascal got out of the tuk-tuk and started yelling, nearby security responded by blowing whistles and the men jumped back in the vehicle and drove away, leaving behind someone who had been beaten and trapped in the boot for the last 2 hours and was apparently the owner of the car?? Anyway. Not good. Thank god for my drinking habit. Vica is fine, but they got her passport which is a little tragic seeing as she was supposed to leave the country yesterday. Then apparently Saturday (also in my neighborhood) a few cops were shot. Super.

With 5 of the 20 district trainings done, I am looking forward to being able to stay in my house this week while I support Kakamega and Vihiga. I'll leave again next weekend.

LAst week I did get some letters written, so hallelujah.. check your mail boxes in about a month.. you may be a lucky recipient. ha. tired, me. x

No comments: