Wednesday, May 23, 2007

May 20, 2007

I am in Kitui and once again I am the only person in the whole hotel. A strange sensation. I am in Kitui Tourist Hotel, though unbeknownst to me a room had been booked at ‘Multipurpose’ where the training is being held. I guess I will go there tomorrow. Or maybe I won’t. I guess I should have a look at it first. Of this hotel all I will say is.. the rough guide is very very wrong. It’s location doesn’t even approximate the one marked on their map. It is barely even in the same town as their map. Subsequently I spent a good hour wandering around with my heavy back pack until my hands went numb and I asked a succession of people where I was going. Someone at the “Traveller” restaurant volunteered to drive me and so I jumped in! Claire had given me the directive “it’s down the hill from the law court” this didn’t prove particularly useful as I had no idea where the that was either.

Kitui appears to be about 100,000 more times interesting than Kajiado. Maybe that’s unfair. But for one, it’s bigger. For two, it’s quite beautiful. Rolling hills that open on to lovely views. Surreal (a Kitui based VSO volunteer) assures me its quite boring. Kitui, by the by, is also the location that Peace Corps use to train their Kenya based volunteers (there are about 150 in country at any one time I believe) so I am told at times it is overrun with wzungu (us white folk).

Sometimes it is easy to be complacent about what I do. Lately I am a little pissy with teachers because they are so clueless (my perception not necessarily reality). The other day I actually said “if you call a child stupid or an idiot, you really need to rethink your choice of career” an immensely unsupportive thing to say even if I believe it to be true. Anyway.. I forget my ‘people are doing the best they can with their resources’ mantra and want to rant about the need for adults to take responsibility for their own learning. I am predictably stirred up whenever 1. people are really bloody late and show up at leisure and then put on their feedback form they wish there was more time and 2. the issue of their sitting stipend comes up (yes, you can’t run a workshop unless you feed people, pay for their transportation and give them a stipend to attend.. the first two I get, the last infuriates me). Anyway, sometimes I am a fairly abrupt deliverer of information.. and then I get feedback like this (see below) and I think.. you know what.. these teachers really are doing their best, and they really do care.

- good, keep up. Do it to the rest of the teachers in schools in Kenya
- you have changed my family, life and career as well to the better

In response to three things learned during this workshop one participant said the following:
• It is good to encourage every attempt
• I should not be shouting at pupils
• Every child when given the right environment can perform
Hallelujah. I can quit and go home now. One person heard me. Bev would be so proud.

May 22, 2007
Last night the feeling of ‘life is good’ settled on me like my covers as I crawled into bed. Kitui feels like the countryside. If I had a different life, I’d be tempted to pile my family in my car and go for a drive. I have managed to spend much of my time here lost. I have set off each day with the misguided notion that I know where I am going, and sure enough, many hills and valleys later, it occurred to me, not only did I have no idea where I was going, I had no idea where I was.

The training is going well and Abbie and I are probably going to come back and visit Kitui ECE (Early Childhood Education) Training Center in August. Right now I am attempting to write a paper about early childhood in Kenya based on my experiences last summer. Okay.. well I am not yet attempting to write it, but its been on my mind since January and the deadline is June 1st. I was reading through Kenya’s Early Childhood Curriculum syllabus today. My favorite part was under religious studies and it looked like this:

19.2.3.9 Things created by Allah
• Universe

End of lesson. I liked the succinct nature of the syllabus.

Speaking of the universe. Recently I thought to myself 'what I need is a doctor!' It was two fold. Firstly I need to go to a doctor, because I have this nasty chest congestion which has not cleared in nearly a month now (I cough up the contents of my lungs daily which is fairly nasty). Also, I had decided that I liked Phil and I liked our life together, but I needed someone who wanted to live in the developing world.

Last night I was sent a doctor. I couldn’t stop laughing as I drank down my beers. I had never specified what I really wanted and well.. where to begin? Mid conversation I would just crack up. I really can’t explain.

May 23, 2007

I am in Nairobi. It's Tanya's birthday and we are going for Japanese food tonight. Hurrah. Will head back to Kisumu Friday I think, spend the weekend with Tanya and Sarah in Kakamega and then up to Mumias for their district training on Monday. I love the Mumias team. Martin called me today to tell me he had only assigned me one session! It's the first session, the intro to definitions.. I already loved Martin, now it is the undying variety. They are so boldly confident that they know their stuff. I love it. I am glad. Plus I am sick of doing sessions 2,4,5,7 and 9! I am supporting two simulatneous trainings next week so I also plan to be in Busia at some point.

Alright. Need to go to Kassarani and wash my hair. It's nasty. I forgot shampoo/conditioner to Kitui. Soon. B xx

2 comments:

Julie said...

More about the doctor???

Anonymous said...

Helen said "More about the Doctor"