Sunday, February 25, 2007

February 25th, 2007

It is raining today. Belgian style, dreary rain. I have actually donned a long sleeved top. Not because it’s necessary, but because I can wear it without sweltering. I am annoyed this morning, and have been directing said emotion at the unsuspecting ants (perhaps it will be noticeable in my written tone?). The cause of my irritation is as follows.. I went to bed after a lovely dinner and much wine, woke at midnight feeling a mite thirsty and made the dreaded, dreaded mistake (because I wish I didn’t have this knowledge) of opening my cabinet to get a glass. And there they were .. a roach party. I haven’t seen them in so long, and now I know where they go. The thing is I can’t Doom the cabinet where I keep my food and dishes. Smart bastards. I got one, who was feasting on my rolls through the plastic bag. I thumped him on the ground and sprayed him, but bugger... I could have lived peacefully without this information. The things is, I suspect they don’t actually live there, no it’s the play ground. Uuurgh. Villans.

So. It’s Sunday. I have spent my weekend tied to my computer working on a language rich preschool science program for Leap and preparing delightful meals with local produce. I made pancakes yesterday morning (I’m inspired to listen to that Jack Johnson song), next time I’ll put stewed apple into the batter Scandanavian style because that’s my favorite. Oh and I am officially no longer losing weight. Blasted.

Some thoughts:

* It takes very little to get a large group of Kenyan’s dancing even mid-afternoon. I could do with more spontaneous boogie-ing in my life. I may have to start having my own private dance parties in the aqua house (reminiscent of living with Sam perhaps? She had a good apartment for impromptu celebration –and a view that prompted it. There were several evenings of throwing our limbs around her living room..).

* There is some sort of cash for plastic bag agreement in this place so that no matter what you purchase someone always wants to bag it. Perhaps it legitimizes the transaction. Yesterday morning I went to my front gate and bought a single egg from my housekeeper’s stall and she wanted to know why I didn’t want a bag. I had a conversation with the bagger at the supermarket (because I always take my canvas shopping bag -which I love because it’s signed by children’s author Mo Willems) and since then I suspect that supermarket bags are a bit of a status thing, mainly because they symbolize you can afford the supermarket, whose prices are similar to the US really. Anyway, as a result, the rubbish – a plethora of these bags- doesn’t decompose and recent research shows they become breeding grounds for mosquitos. Just what this region needs. (I am as annoyed with the mozzies as I am with the roaches and ants)

* I was perusing this boy’s blog http://potashke.blogspot.com(the guy from the bar in Nairobi.. who I might add sent a very good first email… I love a smart and witty correspondence) and it got me thinking. He made a comment: ‘don’t come to Africa, just send money’ and I just have to say, that it is the most ridiculous advice I have ever heard. The money would end up in the first wealthy persons treasury, in which case you would be better to take yourself out for a swank dinner and REALLY ENJOY it. I wouldn’t send any money anywhere unless I knew exactly who was managing it and even then, it’s so hard to get the right things to the right people when it is externally motivated. Look at the examples of trying to give out mosquito nets. Even if the middle man doesn’t sell them, the people whose kids really need them do. The value of the net, is greater to them than the value of malaria prevention. I say this entirely without judgement.

Someone said to me the other day that “the new government (when it’s elected) will stamp out corruption” and I said that “just wasn’t true”. People embezzle at every level. Accountability is really a problem, and because there is no corporate mentality here (which can be a good thing) the checks they have to put in place to keep everything transparent is tiresome and makes management inefficient. Things just seem to disappear. It is understandable given that most people have so very little. But it always comes back to the question.. what is up with this continent? China has had corruption issues, China has an HIV/AIDS problem, but a completely different social/political/economic climate. I know I am posing simplistic questions, and the answers are long and detailed and available in books far more interesting than this blog perhaps, but I have to say this now.. my brain is just too full for sensible reading. I will get there one day, when I am living, perhaps, a more mundane existence.

* Today I am skipping the pool and plan on working on a presentation proposal for ASHA (American Speech and Hearing Association) in Boston in November. Three speech and language projects in Africa (Kenya, Swaziland, Zambia).. the climate is right within the organization for interest in professional contributions overseas. I am going to present my CDEP project, the volunteers for this summer can talk about St. Joseph’s and another VSO speechie in Zambia can present her work. Laura- fancy doing the intro session? I’m writing you in. We’ll wait and see if it’s accepted and then work on travel funding! I’m sure I can rustle up some qualitative data. I am also applying to ASHA’s leadership development program, so doesn’t that sound like a fun filled day.

Alright. Enough dribble. This week I am in Kisumu (Vihiga for their assessment day Wednesday) and will blog.. about work once more. Salama. B xx

p.s. learned about a very very cool project in Nakuru that is in the brewing stages. will write about it, and my visit there soon. Or did I do that already?? hmmm.

No comments: