Thursday, February 15, 2007

There was much local interest in my Valentine's plans. Given that it was my first more or less single celebration of the ridiculous holiday for seven years and I haven't really done anything special on that date since I moved in with Phil, the ongoing discussions were baffling. But.. Kenyans seemed to think I must have really pulled out all the stops because even today it's the question everyone has for me. To admit that I planned to eat a boiled potato (because it was sprouting) and drink a bottle of red wine, and settled on one single vodka and warm Ribena and making tzatziki for my potato would, I feel, be a disappointing response. (There was actually so much raw garlic in the tzatziki that it was probably all for the best I was alone). But I have to add, Martin (the OT) actually took me out for lunch in Mumias and we had the 'valentine special' which was Dengu, rice and pineapple for desert and it was really one of the best meals I have had for ages. Dengu is like a vegetarian curry made of green grams (a green pea like pulse, but much yummier than peas).

But anyway..

Today.. we hauled ourselves all the way out to Kanyangwal for a mobile assessment clinic to be greeted by exactly no-one. We sat there for close to two hours and then came home. I spent the time watching the cows and goats and sheep and roosters and discussing the kitten Veronica is apparently trying to find me (to take care of the roaches-ha). So I am in Kisumu and headed home to work on my computer. I did upload the play group photos from yesterday. I've decided not to write about it here. I will upload the article I am going to do for VSO's disability newsletter when I get it finished.

b xx

No comments: