Thursday, February 01, 2007

Hello. It is so blinkin hot today.. but for some ridiculous reason I put on a pile of clothing.

So in answer to some questions:
- a boda boda is a bike with a cushion on the back, and they dink you for a small price. Very common and we use them to get to sites. Unfortunately it has been very wet, and they can't go in the mud. I can't ride the motorbike until I do the Kenyan motorcycle weekend.
- I do pretty much only work with kids with disabilities or CWD's (because this project makes everything an acronym). As language in not something concrete and tangible, and there are no formal assessment protocols...the child has to literally not speak, or be completely unintelligible to be referred. To date I have answered the question "but will my child ever talk" more times than I would like to have considered. What do I say? "I can't tell you that" ha.
and then "it really all depends..."
- curtain colors.. my room white with green flowers, spare room green. living room, I think I have decided on an aqua african print (it's not my favorite but will match the walls). the hall, white and blue cool print. the door cream, navy and blue cool print. I am looking for matching materials for the closets in the two bedrooms. Have also got around to getting a book case made and another bed. It's funny but I was standing debating between a single and double bed for a ridiculous amount of time today when it occurred to me I was pondering a $25 price difference. It's amazing how quick your brain calibrates to relative costs. The house is good. The geckos continue to scare the living daylights out of me periodically by popping up in unexpected places. I have a truce on most mosquitos, roaches, flying bugs and ants except when they are blatantly disrespectful of my immediate personal space.

As for current life.. Today I had a phone meeting and then went out to another school. We have tentatively scheduled the 5 day teacher training for early March and most of my work will be prepping for that "performance piece." Tomorrow I will be at a community site doing assessments. Only a couple of weeks until I head back to Nairobi and may actually remain there for 3 weeks or so until after the training. This term is going to go so fast.

So tired. Think perhaps the vegan diet I accidentally find myself on is contributing. Maybe I will go and buy a yoghurt. b

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM MISSING YOU SO MUCH!! My eyes are leaky today. It probably does not help to be listening to your Stephanie music mixes! Jimmy James

Anonymous said...

Good morning (or I guess afternoon for you). I will photocopy pages from the Hanen book and send today...not sure how long it will take to arrive! Have a wonderfully (hot) weekend! Steph