Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy 2007.. and here is to a great year. It is the wee hours of the morning and I have spent a good deal of time perusing the internet for my year in the stars. I was reminded of horoscopes recently and think I am going to check them out whenever it croses my mind. I like the idea. Anything to verify an auspicious occasion really. After all do you ever see readings that spell doom and gloom?

I had a fabulous New Year's Eve.. one that rendered me unconscious until 3pm today which may have been jet lag.. may have been that i didn't get home until well after 5 (and may be why I am now awake at 2am) . Jamie, Steph, Rachel (I love having a new girlie pal who lives so close by) and I had a wonderful night.. quiet imbibing, enthusiastic story telling and no outrageous behaviors/dramas to be seen. Even experienced some late night Guitar Hero which for the uninitiated is dance dance revolution rock star style.

So my departure date is now 12 days away. This week..
- I will move out of Phil's officially.. every last box.. scrap.. never to return.
- I will drop my car in Naperville.. this may be in conjunction with the birth of Jen's second baby, but we'll see.. and let me use this Naperville comment as a segway to say that after all these years dad is moving to the far west Chicago suburb.. was he just waiting for me to leave the state?
- Move the remainder of my belongings that are not going to Kenya to Bev's for safe keeping
- Get divorced??? hhm.
- Get so much work done that a L (for Leap) appears in superhero gold on my chest (inspired of course by Bill Bryson's new autobiography "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid"which is freakin' hilarious)
- Finish reading "The 21 Balloons" by William Pene du Bois

So.. feelings about the departure.. not many yet. I'm wondering if I will cry and cry at the airport and feel sorry for whoever has to drop me off. The seems like a burdensome chore but I have a special friend in mind (isn't it terrible how those closest often get the worst jobs?). Alright must attempt sleep.. take 2. My first 90 minute jag just wasn't long enough.

Just a quickie book update.. recently abandoned "A Fortune Teller Told Me" by T. Terzani. While I liked the premise, he needed a good edit. It was so long and tedious and I was throughly sick of his soapbox by page 50. At page 30 I started pencilling bitchy comments in the margins and that is always a bad sign. The worst thing is.. I mostly agreed with him, but he wrote so pompously as if he is the only soul in the whole wide world that has considered the west's overzealous push for modernization as destructive to some cultures.

But I just finished "The Bride Stripped Bare" and I bought this intrigued that it was written anonymously. However, having made my purchase the teller informed me that it was actually widely publicized and everyone knew who the author was. Hhmpf. Well not me apparently. I didn't find it to be particularly likeable, at times I skimmed forward and I thought it was a little dark (stygian perhaps?). But it sparked an interesting idea which I think will remain with me for some time. I like the mystery to her dissapearance. I like to think she went to Spain.

This blog will return to being about Kenya.. when I get there. May sleep fall swiftly upon my head (and yours too probably if you made it through all this nonsense. ha.)

No comments: